Enys Paintings

John and Charles Enys were early runholders of Castle Hill having bought the station in partnership with Edward Curry off the Porter Brothers in 1864. Although not as well known as his older brother John, Charles Enys was a talented watercolour painter and painted many pictures of their homestead ‘Trelissick’ (sited near the present day Castle Hill Village) and the surrounding area.

A collection of about 60 of his paintings is currently housed in the Australian National Library (ANL)in Canberra. By permission of the ANL a selection of these watercolours is shown below. (Photographic copies of the paintings can also be ordered on the ANL website at http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/picturescatalogue keyword: Enys)